Age Tracker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Fall 2011 Update

Hi friends and family!  A lot has been going on here in the past couple of months.  Update time...


Little Lamb/"A" and I are going to ECFE classes every Tuesday and it's been SO good for both of us.  She has cried a little the last 2 times we've separated (the parents go to another classroom for 45 minutes to talk about parenting issues while the kids do an activity and then play in the gym).  But, she continues to amaze me at how well-adjusted she is with new surroundings and with other kids given how closed-off from the world she was for the first part of her life.  We are also going to story time at the library occasionally, having a speech therapy each week, playing outside when the weather allows it, going on many play dates, and just enjoying each other's company (I'm trying to take advantage of only having 1 child to look after b/c I know things will be different come January, not worse, but different).  =)


She does get the whole "toddler frustration" thing at times, especially since she can't communicate how she'd like, but overall she really doesn't throw tantrums and is still the sweetest girl (for now, at least).  ;)   She is mommy's helper and loves to throw away things in the garbage can or put away toys - I'm hoping this continues.  She is still obsessed with dancing and bouncing on her plastic ball (I'll try to get a video of it, she has more coordination and core strength than I think I've ever had).  She loves coloring pictures with crayons and "asks me" to draw her moons and flowers and Mickey Mouses multiple times per day and then giggles once I comply.  


We are not 100% certain on this so this may be premature to even post anything but the speech therapist has indicated that she thinks "A" might have a condition called Verbal Apraxia (hopefully spelled that correctly).  It basically means that there is a disconnect between the brain and the motor/muscles of her mouth/jaw.  She's tested above her age for her receptive communication skills, so we know she understands everything being said to her but her expressive (spoken) communication is way below her age, as we had already known.  Apparently, we just need to do tons and tons of repetition on sounds with her (which is what we've been doing these past months anyways) and it just takes a LOT longer for them to speak correctly.  She is definitely trying to mimic us but you can tell she physically can't match the sounds yet.  She may have to attend a special preschool class in the Fall for children with speech issues, which would be a huge help.  So, we're just playing it by ear and doing all we can to help her along.  Luckily, hubby and I know her so well and she knows many signs, so we're able to communicate pretty well without her getting too frustrated.  


Many of you know this from facebook, but hubby had a serious injury to his index and middle fingers on his right hand back at the beginning of October, while working out in the garage.  He had to go to the ER and then had surgery a few days later to reconnect the tendons and put in a thin metal rod to keep the index finger from moving.   It was challenging for him to have to relearn how to do every task one-handed, but things are much better now.  He's gotten the stitches out and the metal pin.  He is now down to a small splint on the index finger only (which he's thrilled about), although he does have a larger splint for when he's playing with "A" or doing anything physical.  He's been seeing a physical therapist a few times each week and that will continue for another month or two.  Hopefully there won't be long-term issues, as it seems to be healing really well.  


I was officially 30 weeks pregnant yesterday and am feeling so blessed at how healthy this pregnancy has been.  Yes, it's becoming impossible to sleep at night and I have back aches, etc, but I am so appreciative that I'm not on bed rest or that we don't have to live in worry each day about the baby like we did last time.  I've gained 21 lbs. now and it feels like all 21 lbs. are right on my belly.  I must be hilarious to watch as I clumsily go about my day and drop things about 10 times per hour.  "A" will point at my belly and do her "cute" sound, which she does for anything baby or baby animal-related.  She came over and kissed my tummy the other day...I basically melted into a puddle right there.  She's seen me holding a few newborns in the past months and never seems to be jealous.  She also is pretty gentle with the babies (as gentle as a 2 and 1/2 yr old can be, that is).  I'm sure we'll encounter some jealousy issues once this baby arrives but it's encouraging to see these signs.  


We're continuing to get settled in our new house and are LOVING the privacy/quiet/space aspects of the move.  We're slated to have the kitchen remodel started in mid-December (nothing like cutting it close to baby's due date).  We're tearing out the two walls in the kitchen, putting in new flooring in kitchen and dining, getting all new cabinets, a new fridge, new lighting, and a large new kitchen island with built-in bookshelves on the living room side and space for stools on the dining room side.  I can't wait to see the finished product and will definitely post photos once it's all done. 


My updates are somehow never as concise as I intend them to be.  =)  


Lots of love,
Little lamb & family

No comments:

Post a Comment