Age Tracker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Melting Mommy's Heart With One Word

Just a quick post to let everyone know that "A" said "mama" for the first time a few days ago!!  She's been saying "dada" for over a year now and I've been patiently (and, at times, not-so-patiently) waiting for her to say "mama".  I realize that saying this word isn't earth-shattering news for most toddlers (especially since most start saying it around 1 year old), but we've been working on it for a full year and it is SO absolutely wonderful and rewarding to finally hear it.  


She started saying "naaanaa" when imitating a baby crying and then it slowly turned from the "n" sound to the "m" sound.  At first she wouldn't be able to repeat it when asked to and you could tell her brain was trying to remember exactly how she had made the sound previously.  But, after a couple of days, she can now say it on command almost every time. 


The best part about this (besides my heart exploding with love) is that she is proud of herself and she is well-aware that she has done something special after trying it so many times.  I'm hoping this gives her a lot more confidence in talking and will lead to her trying out some new words.  Needless to say, I'm super excited for our next speech therapy session this week, so I can brag to the therapist.  =)  


As I read more about Verbal Apraxia, it does sound exactly like "A".  Kids with this condition typically have a very large gap between their receptive and expressive language scores, which describes her last test results to a tee.  Her receptive language was measured at 34 months back in September, so her understanding of what's being said to her is actually ahead of her age.  However, her expressive language (her actual, verbal communication abilities) was assessed around 19 months.  So, pretty huge gap there.  


Anyways, I just wanted to share my joy over her new word with you all.  She says "mama" in her crib while falling asleep at night and I had to restrain myself from going in there to attack her with kisses b/c it was so darn cute.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment